One of the prime objectives of the redesigned homepage was to update the overall look and feel to provide a modern and contemporary presentation. The focus was on utilizing new imagery that more appropriately illustrated the messaging and tone. Further, the goal was to introduce a more visual (less text-heavy) presentation in a modular grid-based approach that would be more engaging and easier for the user to scan.
The current website's overall look and feel needed to be updated with a modern design aesthetic that showcases VMware as an industry leader. A few issues have to be solved; accessibility, consistency, and a clear hierarchy.
Create a simple, modern design based on the twelve column grid system that allows the user to navigate the page with ease, enabling them to understand who VMware is and what VMware can offer them.
Every project is different and requires different processes. Factors that determine which process I use are the project goals, business needs/goals, the complexity of the problem, time, etc. Below are the steps I used to solve this problem.
By introducing the twelve-column grid system, the overall user and customer experience will be better, lowering the bounce rate and increasing the user's time on the page.
During the research phase of this redesign project, I interviewed five people to understand the users' challenges better.
Users main frustrations
To get more information for our users. I conducted an online survey to learn more about our user's problems and pain points. I wanted to learn what, if anything, they enjoyed about our current experience, and I also wanted to get their thoughts on what could be done better.
Understand the users perception of the following web elements:
1. Home page content blocks
2. Home page content
3. Navigation placement
4. Mobile experience
5. Visual design elements (colors, whitespace, typography, imagery)
After gathering data from the interviews and survey, I conducted a competitive analysis, examining a few of our competitors to identify what they are doing well and compare their features with my online-survey users' expectations.
During this part of the project, I focus on creating different concepts based on my research and competitive analysis.
After understanding the layout of the sections, I started working on different designs. Here are a few iterations.
Using Crazy Egg, I was able to see how users were interacting with the new design. We wanted to see if our bounce rate would go down and if user engagement would go up.
Test: 8 days
Total number of visits 75,173
Total number of clicks 118,128
This project became the catalyst for a total website redesign.
Currently, we are working to incorporate our learnings from this project into our website redesign project. Here are a few things we are implementing: